Transparency

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Does this picture make an impact?

Should the leaves just to the right of the purple flower, not part of the plant, be cloned out? Is that OK to do?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sun was shining through the flower and shows its veins, shadows of its stamens. f5.6, 1/1000 sec., ISO 100, 49 mm

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

David: Welcome to Flora and thanks for your first post here. Cloning those OOF leaves might be a difficult task but I would consider making the effort. I do like the effect the back light has on the flower. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more. >=))>

1 Like

Welcome David. I hope you become enriched by the artistic and technical insights as I have been in my few months in NPN.
So, first flora image you gove us an incredibly delicate flower, backlit against the sly.
Thanks.
The delicacy of the blossom and calyx is what caught my eye. Your vantage point from below is very powerful.
You might consider cropping out a lot of the rest, and trying to bring forth more luminescence from the petals. Maybe bring down the brightness of the sky somehow so the petals glow against the sky. I am responding from a tablet using Snapseed, so cannot do some stuff available in Photoshop, but the attachment hopefully gives an idea of my thinking.

Thanks to both commentators. I will try to combine and repost after my attempts.

David, Nice image for your first post. I think, overall, giving it some more exposure would have kept the colors on the flowers. Looks like a wild geranium flower. It would be difficult to clone out the out of focus leaves/buds to the right of the image as they overlap with the petals, but Dick’s rework minimizes their impact on the flower and also brings out colors of the geranium.

A little more focus and removal of the out of focus leaf would result in an outstanding take on the backlit flower. Taking out the foreground leaf would take rebuilding the surrounding areas, i.e. a lot of time and effort. Would be fun to try to duplicate the lighting and composition on another day.

Here’s my worked on pic. I hope you like it.