Under Cover

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all comments welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all comments welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Composited from two different moments that I missed initially but felt was pleasing…goal was to have the flowers and mid ground foliage in shade, with the tree in the background partially lit.

D810; 24-70 f/2.8; 1/30 at f/4.0, 38mm, ISO200

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jim: A well thought out comp and a fine result. I might try to bring up the brightness of the flowers for a touch more contrast but otherwise this works well for me. >=))>

Jim, this is an interesting use of selective focus, I guess partly via compositing focus brackets. I’m actually surprised how OOF everything is except for the near flower, all of that background must be a good distance from the near flower. Having everything so OOF here kind of distills everything down to color for me, and you have a nice combination here. At first glance I thought the sunlit tree might be a “hotspot” distraction, but after studying the image a bit, the tree does work for me. This is an unusual image, but I like it. My only nitpick is that I wish the tallest red flower wasn’t nearly merging up into the tree.

Do you know what species of flower this is?

Hey Ed…you read my mind. I tried to do some content-aware move of the distant flower that merged with the tree and wasn’t happy with the result. Of course, I do struggle a bit with the “integrity” of the image had i been successful and recognize this is controversial and many have differing opinions. Anyway, thanks for looking and this is Bee Balm by the way. A native species that is prevalent in the Appalachian Mountains…believe it or not, it is in the mint family and was used by native americans to make a tea.