Floral Crowns

I’m sharing this in part because it’s dreary out and cold…trying to inject a little color and warmth into our lives. Also, I’m interested in whether this image is successful in regards to the repeating elements here. I’ve mentioned that I’m interested in learning about smaller scenes. Also, I have my own opinions but wonder what you think/recommend on focus in this. I used a 70-200 @135mm f/3.5, so it’s a bit soft. Yet, if I remember correctly, I was not happy with the BG coming in to focus with incremental decreases in aperture size.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all comments welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

I like this, Jim. Just enough in focus to have a place to lay my eye, and the rest is repetitions of the same shapes. Nice colors and composition.

1 Like

I think this works nicely. Really like the horizontal comp and subject matter is beautiful. Would like a little more DOF but as you say, any more in a single shot would make the BG too distracting. If there was no wind, might have been a perfect candidate for focus stacking.

1 Like

Jim: I like your artistic decisions on this. As a die hard single capture guy I find these challenges to be one of the joys of macro and floral shooting. I really enjoy the comp and the inclusion of the bud bunch along with the more mature bloom. Very nicely done :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Jim,
It is all about compromises with a single image as to where you want your sharp areas and I think what you have works real well. I am enjoying the color palette with the reds and greens and the OOF BG is a plus. I have never done a focus stack shooting wide open, but I am thinking this would be a good candidate. That would allow you to get a bit more of the beautiful flower in focus while retaining the OOF BG. I may have to give that a try the next time I go to Longwood Gardens. Anyway, beautifully done.

1 Like

Very pleasing composition and color palette. The background helps with the natural feel. Well done.

1 Like