Imperfection

I got a macro lens after dragging my feet for quite some time…lately, I’ve been interested in a more personal expression of creativity and am drawn more to intimate scenes. Macro was how I initially explored with a camera as I felt I could better control my environment on a smaller scale. Now that I’m more experienced, I find macro to be difficult. Anyway, I recently went to a conservatory and spent the better part of 5 hours working through lunch and feeling no hunger. Had a great time. These are a couple of shots and I’m wondering what you all think. What works, what ways could be improved…I’m in my infancy in developing a sense of presentation in macro, recognizing that I’ll find my way, but in the meantime, any advice/recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.

The chrysanthemum is a two image blend (f/3.8 and f/16). The cactus is a 9 image stack at f/8.0 and stacked in HFocus. Both images shot with 105 f/2.8 Nikkor micro on D850.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jim_mcgovern_photography

Jim: Both of these are pretty nice efforts. On the first a touch more DOF would suit me better although I’m a big fan and user of selective focus. The FG OOF areas are pulling my eye away. I like your POF/DOF choice on the second. My only suggestion there would be for a bit more room on the top. Macro is a wonderful genre and I’m looking forward to more of your work. Don’t be bashful about posting in Flora also. >=))>

Jim, both of these shots are very attractive. The pink/green combo in #1 looks good, although I think the green is a bit too saturated for the “gentle” pink. The flower center parts stand out well. #2 has a fine zoom effect. Getting the tips nicely sharp works very well, plus the bits of oof red and orange add some extra interest. You’re going to have fun with this lens

Thanks @Bill_Fach…I see what you mean about the upper portion of the 2nd image. Macro offers unique challenges to border patrol! It’s a lot more challenging than it would seem, but certainly fun to work through! On the 2nd shot - yes, I’m endeavoring to find the sweet spot on aperture relative to distance for a good balance of selective focus. I guess experimentation is the key. I would like to do a better job of “bracketing” on site and will plan to do so. Thanks again for your help.

@Mark_Seaver - thanks for your help. I agree with you about the green saturation…I’ll rework that and see how it looks.

Jim, both images are certainly wonderful images for what you call, “in your infancy” in macro photography. I haven’t even attempted stacking yet, so I am way behind you, it would seem. Both images are really nice as presented, but I do like the repost of the pink one, as the desaturation of the green really helped it. I also find macro to be like photographing a different universe. You can get lost in time while looking for and photographing tiny little insects and plants. I am just amazed at the details in them when they brought up on the big screen. It is a learning curve, and for me it is watching the background and as you called it, “border control” as well. I am so looking forward to many more of your images, especially here in the macro section, but as Bill said, feel free to post in the flora as well, even if they are up close.

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman…I tend to embrace the technology perhaps a bit too early, probably because I find it a wonderful distraction when I’m not quite sure what I want to say artistically or creatively just yet. It is a journey and an opportunity to express/convey something with almost a different language. It’s sure fun and I’m looking forward to exploring it further.

1 Like