Great Blue Heron

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this GBH while scouting for kingfishers a couple of days ago. The tiny specks in the image are rain. The wind was blowing slightly which kicked up some of the chest feathers.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 6400, f5.6, 1/2000s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

1 Like

Lovely one-legged bird you have here. :laughing: I love these scrunched in, fluffed up poses and have never managed to catch one doing it so this is a treat. The crispness looks excellent and that sweep of feathers in the breeze is really nice. The raindrops add a lot of atmosphere, too. I wonder if taking the saturation up just a tick in the bird itself will work to sort of even out with the color in the head and bill. Not that they need to be equal, but it’s just a thought.

1 Like

Classic pose, well captured. The feather movement adds to the mood of the image.

1 Like

Wonderful!! Pose, detail, perch and BG all perfect! And the sprinkling of rain is delightful! Only a tiny nit but I might prune the piece of branch on the right edge, and give more room to the one at the bottom.

1 Like

An excellent image of this Heron, Allen. They’re so common I sometimes pass them by , but a pose like this deserves to be photographed. The subdued color palette really works well for this image.

1 Like