Great Blue Heron

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I rarely use my camera in the vertical position, but this shot pretty much demanded it. At 700 mm I was able to get close and this image is uncropped

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated. I’ve been going through a Color Theory course by Blake Rudis and have been learning and re-learning techniques. One thing I did in this image was to set the gray point in a curves layer and it really brought out the blue detail in the feathers.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700 mm; 1/800, f10; ISO 400

Very nice portrait of the GBH, Allen. I’ll have to look at that course you mentioned. The whites look a bit hot in a couple of places, but I really like the rest of the plumage.

I’ve been buying vertical grips for my cameras for a number of years now to make it more convenient to go vertical. I wasn’t impressed by Canon’s for adding battery life, but I liked the way they made the camera handle. The original equipment ones are usually pretty pricey, but I’ve bought Vello equivalents and been very happy with their quality and performance.

1 Like

Hi Allen, that’s one sharp heron. A tad bright in places but still a fine image. He seems to be giving you the eye. Nice catch.

1 Like