Great Blue Reflection

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Found this heron at the neighborhood lake earlier this year.

Specific Feedback

I really like photographing reflections of birds so I was happy to come across this one. Would be interested in any comments on composition and cropping. Anything else as well.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 400, f6.3, 1/2000s, hand held

1 Like

Awesome light in this image, Allen. I love how the bird is looking slightly away-it adds to the peacefulness of the image as does the smooth water. A lovely image.

I had the same thought as Dennis, that there is a calmness to the scene. I like the pose and detail in the heron and the perch adds to the composition. Also like the creamy background water. My only nit would be to wish the reflected head was sharper.

A beautiful photo and a reflection is always a plus. Light to die for. Perhaps the crop is a bit tight? An awesome image.

The light is excellent and I don’t mind the room around the bird - we all basically know what they look like and so having some environment is nice. As is the reflection. It seemed a tad muddy and flat on my monitor and maybe a little green cast, too so I did a quick, down-and-dirty edit in PS just for fun -

Hope that looks good to you or at least gets some ideas going. Gorgeous catch.

1 Like

Wonderful scene!! But for me the the WB feels too warm. (@Kris_Smith’s edit brings out lovely color in the water.) Tweaking it (best back in the raw stage) might bring out more tonal detail in the bird, too. It can sometimes be surprising how much difference that can make.

I did some color balance and a little vibrance, then a gentle curve to punch more contrast in the bird. Had to mask out the white throat, which got blown.

2 Likes