Great Blue Heron

Taken as I was sitting on the boat dock of my neighborhood lake. The background is trees in shade and also being reflected on the water while the heron is in sunlight. Thus the lit bird with dark surroundings.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C @600mm
ISO 640, f7.1, 1/2500s, hand held

@allensparks.wildlife
1 Like

Really nice look at this heron. I like the flight position quite a bit. This exhibits your technical mastery of the exposure. Looking at the larger image in a darker room, I’m able to make out the lake in the trees in the background. This does not detract from the image itself. Well done!

Really nice capture, Allen. The gray bird against the dark bg is really nice, and details are excellent.

Super!! Wonderful “pose”, perfect light, great sharpness and detail, amazing BG!

Very fine! Gray on black works well for this one. Great feather detail and sharpness throughout.

Excellent exposure, Allen. I love the varied gray tones throughout the image.

Oh, how I love these dark images - the bird stands out so nicely ! Only thing that bothers me is the not-level line in the BG, could easily be the opposite bank giving more room to whatever is below, which would make the image level - however it feels a little tilted, even if it may be not. Other than that: a stellar shot ! Cheers, Hans

Thank you for the comments everyone!

@Hans_Overduin, I remember there being lines of pollen floating on the surface of the water that morning. That may have something to do with the uneven lines. Not sure.