Great Egret - Big Lagoon State Park (Weekly Challenge)

Taken while kayaking in the lagoon

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

This is a very impressive image.

1 Like

Beautiful and simple. An alternative to further simplify it is cropping out the clouds. I like it both ways, they just present different moods.

1 Like

It’s not often an egret is the darkest part of an image! Did you do a lot of processing? A really interesting picture.

1 Like

Definitely an arresting image, and, yes, cropping out the clouds provides an interesting additional concept.

1 Like

Thank you @Igor_Doncov , @Harley_Goldman and @Ronald_Murphy . I agree on the crop option. I also tried and liked both but ultimately decided on this one. although for purposes of the challenge the simpler one might have been more representative. Totally different feel too. Just a side note, they aren’t clouds but hills or dunes on the opposite bank. :slight_smile:

Thank you. Actually, no there isn’t much processing. I brought the exposure up a little but otherwise minor starting adjustments that are done to all my raw files. The biggest change was some softening of the contrast on the upper background to bring the darks closer to the color of the bird.

A difficult shot to wrap my mind around - which makes it even more interesting. Can be interpreted in several different ways.

1 Like

Terri, this looks great. The glow around the egret making it’s silhouette the darkest part of the image is excellent. I also like the added mysteriousness that the distant mountains add.

1 Like

Bravo. On all levels this is fabulous. I’m also torn about the dunes…both versions create a different reaction and emotional response, which is a nice problem to have.

1 Like

Nicely done. i like the backlighting and how it glows through in places around the egret. I like your idea of playing around with the crops. There is possibly a third option taking out the dunes and leaving the bits of reflections.

1 Like