Great Egret

One more image I processed from our Florida trip. Seen at Ding Darling NWR.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600mm, monopod
ISO 640, f6.3, 1/800s

@allensparks.wildlife
2 Likes

It looks like gorgeous soft warm light Allen. I really like the nice pose . It has a simple flow to it, from the catching the prey item to the nice curving tail on to the reflection.

I don’t think it would take long to clean up the water and might well be worth the effort.

Excellent job on the light, action, and detail. A beautiful image nicely crafted. David Leroy made a comment about cleaning up the water. I have mixed feelings about this because it is part of the environment but I understand it would be an nicer image with less stuff in the water. I think we all face this dilemma. Personally, I’m okay with stuff in the water.

Beautiful warm light, Allen, and great action. To my eye the tones in the shadowed parts of the bird are a bit too close to the background tones. It gives a really odd look to the tail area.

Terrific light and the frozen action adds a little excitement. I’d give cleaning up the water a go. It would add to the serenity.

Sweet light. Great timing on the pose, with the egret about to chow down on some prey.

Gorgeous light on a wonderful decisive moment! I love how the BG seems to fade away into fog. I don’t mind the stuff in the water but it could be interesting to clean up some of it, especially the ones close to the edges.

It’s a small nit for a gorgeous image, but the ripple is a virtual horizon. When I draw a line through the “edges” (how to describe it?) with the ruler tool, it shows a 1.5 degree CCW rotation would level it.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

@Diane_Miller, I’ll admit I am confused about straightening the ripples. How do I know the bird didn’t strike the water at an angle to me so the ripples would naturally not be level in the image? Or am I thinking about it all wrong?

I’ll look forward to other opinions, but as long as the water surface is level, I think the ripples would be level, and regardless of your shooting angle.

If there is no horizon in the water then I find leveling tricky. And I think with ripples we want them to be level because they are. But our view of them does allow them to recede away from us sometimes. So standing on a seashore and looking straight out the breakers look level, and they are. But look off to the right and the breakers don’t appear level to our eye but they are.
I tend to use reflections to level. They always lead straight back to us.

And I stand to be corrected!!