Great Egret

I spied this Great Egret fishing in a swampy pond at my local nature center in Tulsa. On reflection (no pun intended), I wish I had pulled back a bit and captured all of the bird’s reflection on the water. This is one of those shots that made me groan when I developed it

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/8, 1/1500 sec., ISO 100, Hand Held. Processed in Canon DPP and PSE 12 for exposure and color.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Terry, the Egret stands out well here. The whites in the bird look very good against the darkly reflecting water. The swath of greens add well to the color mix. This pose looks like a strong candidate for a vertical shot that would include the full reflection. The view posted would also benefit from having the bird further to the right, although that would reduce the amount of that nice blue reflection.

Thanks, Mark. I agree a vertical shot would have been good. I seldom take vertical shots, and I don’t know why. I will keep that in mind next time an opportunity like this presents itself.