Great Egret

Last sun of the day hits this magnificent bird as everything else slips into shade.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I looked at this image with both warm and cool presentations. Basically, the sun was quite low in the sky and orange and the plumage of the Egret reflects this. So I stuck with the warm presentation. I think it accurately reflects the light at the time.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-2500, 500 mm PF +1.4 extender, F7 .1, 1000th, D500, handheld from a moving boat, minimal sharpening, 75% full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Lovely light, David and even though I wasn’t there the light looks natural to me. You may try to darken the BG a tiny bit, just enough to make the egret standing out even more, but still keep some of the details… But, pleasant image as presented ! Cheers, Hans

I agree with Hans about the BG, David. I really like the light on the egret. Super pretty light indeed. I would consider cloning out the brighter wet dirts just behind the bird on the left edge of the frame.

A gorgeous shot, David. The light on the Egret is superb and the shaded upper background really sets it off. I really like the faint orange blush the light created on the bird.

Well composed in beautiful light, David. The directional light and background make this image stand out. The water texture/ripples and slight reflection add a lot as does the pose. Very good job getting this from a boat. I agree with Hans, you can try darkening the entire image by half a stop to see if that isolates the egret even more.