Great Gray Owl & Repost

Repost: Brightened and other minor changes.

The Access Road:

I’d heard from some fellow volunteers about a population of these in Eastern Oregon a couple of years ago. I planned on going last year, but my back decided otherwise, so I made a trip to this location and the National Bison Range ending last week. These owls were first documented in the area in 1982 after a logging operation in the 70’s created more open forests, which they like. They’ve been nesting ever since. While the Forest Service manages the core area, they are nesting well outside it. There’s a small nature preserve called Growiser across the valley and they’ve had them nesting regularly and the manager there said they’ve nested elsewhere in the area.

The Forest Service provides directions to the active nests (double check the gps coordinates when you think you’ve gotten there-it took me two tries). Unfortunately, many of our fellow “nature lovers” don’t seem to get the idea very well. The directions I was given suggested walking in the last 3/4 of a mile because the road was “natural surface”, meaning muddy. I did so, but I’m posting an image here of what those who didn’t walk have done to some gorgeous mountain meadows.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. I realize that this image is relatively dark, but I wanted to portray the actual situation and it was a cloudy day with quite low light when I was photographing.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, Tripod with ball head and Wimberley Sidekick, f/9, 1/1000, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. This image was taken as a vertical.

3 Likes

Awesome image, Dennis. And the dark feel works quite well. I love the direct eye contact too. The mossy covered branch helps separate the owl. I also like how the tree sort of divides the background with the owl straddling it in the frame. Wonderful image and no nits at all. Congrats!

Sad 2nd photo, people don’t take the time to read. Beautiful capture of the owl, Dennis! You had a clear view it looks like too, with no branches in the way! I love how the owl’s eyes and beak match the colors of the moss! Must have been an awesome feeling to have him/her looking right at you!

Hi Vanessa. It was an awesome experience. She didn’t look at me often, which hopefully means I wasn’t disturbing her.

1 Like

Very effective and moody. You have been spending way too much time under the canopy…
Very appropriate DOF and wonderful moss. Outstanding pose and stare.

Excellent shot. I really like the stare. Love it. @Dennis_Plank I’ve heard of mono pods and tripods but the photo appears to have a duo pod in it.
Meadow damage seems to be occurring everywhere. @Vanessa_Hill although some people do not stop to read, others seem to take signs as a personal affront and a reason to go ahead and destroy things. We’ve had that problem here, and it has lead to private owners fencing and installing locked gates denying access to all. Even in those situations some have had their fences and gates destroyed.

An excellent shot as well as subject, Dennis. I’m glad that your back let you this year, and that you were able to find it, even if the GPS was a bit off. I appreciate you walking as they instructed. I’m one of those that try to abide by the rules too. It will probably mean blocking it off so no one can go through, walking or driving. Anyway, you got there finally, and she posed for you nicely.

That kind of blatant arrogance is so maddening and it’s a lot of what ruins it for those of us who do abide by the rules. The other day I had to tell someone that only service dogs were allowed on trails. Of course they ignored me, but what the hell gives with attitude like that? I’ve never been so full of myself as to just think rules don’t apply to me.

Anyway…that’s another axe to grind. This is a wonderful shot in every respect. The perch, the moss, the stare! All so riveting. I can’t help but feel it’s a trifle underexposed, but it looks like a pretty gloomy day so it might be appropriate.

There is a relatively famous location for these in Northern Minnesota that I’ve been meaning to get to. Maybe when gas isn’t $5 a gallon anymore.

@Kris_Smith Yeah. I just topped off the truck today to see what the cost of fuel was for the trip and it’s around $630 for a 9 day trip, though that’s pulling a small trailer with a pretty large pickup.

But to put it in perspective, we recently spent about that for a new phone for my wife and I got more pleasure from this little trip than all the phones I’ve ever owned gave me.

1 Like

Beautiful image Dennis with a great mood. Love that head on stare and the mossy perch is wonderful. Great setting. Well done.

I brightened this up a tad just to see what it would look like…

I think you may be right, @David_Schoen . I probably have it too dark. I’ll play with it this afternoon.

Love the repost Dennis although I love the dark mood of the original as well. All has already been said but you might consider cloning out the very bottom lichen branch as it catches the eye. You certainly got the stare down. Well done on this and thanks for posting the second photo. Pretty sad. Anyway, superb image and congratulations on getting this. Hope the back is doing better.

First of all, I really do like the brightened version, as it really helps to portray the silvery tones of the owl’s feathers, along with the mossy branch it sits upon. Lest you are against cloning out minor detailings, I would recommend cropping the bottom of the frame by a bit - to allow the mossy branch to more fully disappear into the left corner rather than leaving the separation - and clone out the lower moss on the tree along with the moss on the far right side of the frame. I feel this would work the image nicely, allowing for a cleaner presentation. Further, if you enjoy the moodier tone of the first image, why not add a slight vignette to the brightened version, to further draw your eye to the owl?

Thanks @Cody_Schultz I appreciate the thorough critique and I like your ideas. I’ll have to play with this one some more.

1 Like

Hi Dennis
I am posting this review with-out the benefit of reading any of the above comments, ( just wanted to go with my first expression). Dennis, I think these two photographs present two completely different Owls. The darker tree and Owl give me the feeling, I am being judge and coming up short. The second brighter photograph is what I would normally work for in a nicely detailed Great Gray Owl photograph. It is just me, both shot are kippers.
Peter

What a great image! I like the brigthened image best but would like to keep the moss brightness from the original image.