Great Gray Owl Same Bird, Different Perch

I posted another image of this bird with a head-on view a while back, but I liked this one where it’s not staring straight at me as well, so I thought I’d post it.

I find it interesting that this specimen doesn’t look very gray, though this population has been living in Ponderosa Pine forest for quite a few generations, so the color may be shifting.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC, Tripod with ball head and Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/1000, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6000x4800. Taken at 2:19 PM on June 1st.

2 Likes

I suppose Great Gray sounded better than Big Brown or Big Beige owl. :laughing:

This is a seriously excellent photo. I love the way the angle sets us apart from the bird - like we’re not important, nor is the photographer, but whatever it is looking off at. I really need to take a workshop or something up in Minnesota where they are numerous. So majestic.

Hi Dennis
This is a good example of high resolution and a very natural look. I can see great color depth and feather detail on the Great Gray Owl. The soft background helps the Owl to stand out. Nice work.
Peter

Hi Dennis,

Your great gray gazing off into the woods is a nice variation not often seen in most photos of this species. My only suggestion is to reduce the brightness of the lichens on the branch slightly to bring out some of the texture. Other than that, my suggestion is to get thius one up on the wall. Well done…Jim

Nice image with excellent detail and color. On my monitor the lichens look fine. I might clone away the piece of wood sticking out in the very upper left-hand corner as it does pull my eye. Terrific background. I hear owls in my neighborhood all the time but I’ve never seen one.

Wonderful shot Dennis. The natural pose of the bird and its grey, brown, beige colouring matching the tree and complimented by the background makes a stand-out photo.
I agree with Jim, get it on the wall.

Great shot, Dennis. Although many people prefer to have owls looking directly at the camera, I find this kind of shots more appealing , as it’s always nice when it looks as if the bird didn’t notice the photographer. Nice composition as well. Cheers, Hans