Hovering Great Gray

I finally got around to processing my photos from two October Yellowstone trips, so I thought I’d share something here. And there’s a dearth of monochrome images in Avian at the moment anyway. :wink:

During my second fall visit, I was fortunate to have a few chances to see Great Gray Owls. Unfortunately, I found it difficult to come up with something “new” or different compared to what I’ve captured in the past. I did like this moment, however, as this owl hovered briefly over its hunting grounds. The relatively dark background (I did perform a little burning in post—rare for me, even with black and white work—to even out some of the tones) helped the lighter plumage of the bird stand out nicely.

Canon 1DXII
Canon 600mm
ISO 1600
1/1600th
f/4

Max

@maxwaughphoto
4 Likes

Wow. I just love the mood of this image. B/W works really well, the pose of the owl with the wing position against the darker background is really nice. Some might complain about not seeing the face. Doesn’t bother me in the least as it shows the owl hunting.

The only thing I’d look at is the lighter “line” (guessing OOF tree) running through the left wing of the owl.

Great image!

1 Like

This is tremendous! The light tree could be burned more, but darn this is dramatic and arresting. I love the dangling feet and the spread of all the primaries and the tail. The markings are so wonderful.

1 Like

Thank you, Kristen and Keith. As you noted, the tree was the problem here, and that was indeed the area that I burned a little.

Hello, Max, a truly stunning image and it works very well in B&W. Excellent pose captured. Hats off ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

This is just great. I want to see a much bigger image so I can explore.

1 Like

Hi Max
Every thing about the photograph is dramatic. Ronald is correct, this would look even better in a much larger frame. Vary nice work.
Peter

1 Like

Excellent work, Max. The pose is just wonderful and you took full advantage of it with the dramatic lighting. The B&W presentation works very well.

1 Like

That is a very neat image. Not often you can see an owl in such an intense pose. Lovely detail.

1 Like

I love how the owl is so symmetrical, outstretched wings, tail, feet and legs! And the head looking down adds a dramatic, exciting, scary feel of just before the swoop and catch! It’s a beautiful moment you captured!

1 Like

Wonderful image and very effective.

1 Like