Great Horned trying to hide

Description:We were out looking for raptors in south east Arizona. We spotted a Red Tail on telephone post and another bird flew in an perched next to him. It was a Great Horned owl . The Red Tail left and so did the owl, but we found him again about a mile away. Crazy owl flying up to a raptor, midday. The owl was bigger than the Red Tail. Maybe size matters.

Canon 7D Markll, Sigma 150-600, f/9, 1/1000sec,531mm,ISO500, hand held but braced on a water tank.
All comments accepted.

Specific Feedback Re quested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Excellent, Charlie. You managed to extract the Owl from that busy background very well. It would be tedious, but I’d be tempted to burn some of those brighter foreground branches.

I know owls are birds, but they always seem to be “not birds” also. They look so different. Those front-facing eyes give them an un-bird like quality. Maybe this one was hungry and was hoping the raptor had something to share . . . or that could be stolen. It seems unlikely it was coincidental.

Nice photo Tony. It turned out well even with the many small branches and back lighting. Owls are a favorite of many bird photographers for sure.

I agree with that. Hawks are known to be owl predators at dawn and dusk and probably visa versa. Unusual to go up at midday. We’ll never know.
Thanks

I expect them to be better hidden during the day. Just lucky we spotted him/her.

Sorry Charlie. It is your photo. I have not seem GH Owls moving around during the day but I have often seen them in a relatively open perch up in a tree.

Pleasing environmental image. Good job on threading the needle.