Great Migration

What makes this image expressive?

This question had me thinking for a while about the difference between what we experience in the field and what time away from the image and reflection can create. This is one of many exposures I took of this scene. I remember carefully adjusting my 100-400mm lens to try to fill the frame with as many dogwood blooms as possible. Inspired by dogwood images from William Neill, I worked for probably close to 30 minutes on different minor adjustments. I recall trying to avoid too many overlaps with the rapids and the blooms. On further reflection the two blooms set against the stone draw my attention, not sure if that is good or bad, just something I’m now noticing more than I did in the field. I shot this with both the blooms in focus and the rock out of focus as well as, obviously, the version you see here. I selected this one because as I looked at it, the blooms were no longer from a dogwood tree. They reminded me of cloud of butterflies dancing across the river. This meant more to me than sharp flowers with a blurry rock. In the field, this idea never crossed my mind, not even close. I was just happy to be out and away from the daily stresses of life, the ups and downs. Looking at it now, I can’t help but see butterflies.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all! I know centered compositions can often be a no-no, but I feel the calming nature of the image, my emotional state during the trip, and the presence of the “butterflies” adds both some interest AND justifies the “static” nature of the centered rock. Curious if the overlap of the two dogwood blossoms creates too much visual weight. Also always interested in things like contrast, tones, and colors.

3 Likes

Dear David, firstly thank you for the image, and the great amount of background. It gives me so much more to work with. I appreciate it.

There is a very interesting mix here between technical, “photographic” language and feeling, imagination. If you had to place yourself on a spectrum between technical and emotional, where would you lie. It is interesting that much of your imagination and metaphor comes in hindsight.

Above I have just highlighted a few of these comments, and there is a clear juxtaposition between the concept of work, versus one of relaxation and playfulness. These are things I have explored a lot in myself over the past decade and the insights can be profound.

Now, to how I read the image.

For me, I do not think about no-no’s, but rather on how the image feels. Does it sit in the frame, or does it not. Does it feel complete, or conflicted.

Ask yourself these questions:
Where is the area of highest contrast in the scene?
Where are the darkest pixels?
Where is the busiest area of the frame?

The answer to all three questions is “above the moss covered rock”

The consequence of this is the image doesn’t feel balanced, all that entering the rock has done is to emphasise the top-heavy nature of the scene.

I love the analogy of butterflies dancing. By removing the top of the frame we can feel that too. Light, airy, floaty, free, random. All the attributes one would use for these free-spirited Lepidoptera.

Apologies for the harsh crop, but this is what I feel. Hope that gives food for thought.

Hi David. This image really stood out to me as I was looking through the feed. The softness of the water compared to the Texture on the rock. The flowers do look like butterflies and it took me a sec to figure out what they were. I am usually a fan of the centered comp and in this case as well. The only thing I find a bit distracting is the small waterfall in the upper middle right, it’s vertical lines break up the other horizontal tendency of the shot. Great image!

Wonderful image, David. I love the creativity. You did well to avoid overlapping the flowers with the highlights in the stream. That moss covered rock dead center is super nice and draws the eye immediately. Two things I notice right away…I would clone out the two flowers that are sitting over the rock and I would also burn the foreground shadows to better match the background contrast. The bottom of the image feels too light to me. One more thing…the bottom right corner is relatively empty creating a slight imbalance to this scene as well. You may consider dodging the white water down there or perhaps, if it doesn’t offend your sensibilities, clone in a flower or two. Wonderful vision with this., David.

@Alister_Benn thank you so much for taking the time to give a thoughtful critique. I believe I am at a transition point in my photography where the technical aspects are becoming increasingly less complex for me. The challenge now is using that technique to create expressive and emotional images. This is a “language” I have yet to develop. My biggest fear within this hobby is that I will be able to do all sorts of things technically, but my images won’t say much at all.

I see where you are headed with the crop. I’m wondering if other frames I have may do a better job at preserving pixels, I will take a look at that soon.

Thanks again!

I just wanted to pop in here, David, and say this is such a rad shot.

@Cameron_Wilcox thank you for the kind words, much appreciated!

@David_Haynes These are things I’ve been considering. I have never “added” objects to an image but I may play with it here. I was thinking adding more contrast in the lower 1/3 may help it match the upper better and make it a bit more cohesive thus resolving one of the issues Alister brought up.

1 Like

Much appreciated @David_Johnston ! I’m going back and forth on how to improve this one now and hopefully take a look at a few more frames to see what I’ve got.

1 Like