Great Northern Diver

Sometimes Great Northern Divers end up here, but they are not always in good shape. Upon arrival the bird was still actively diving and feeding and showed no signs of being ill, but yesterday it died. It will be examined for the cause of death. That said, as in the first days it looked like a healthy bird, I had no problems taking pictures, this is one of them, a 1st winter bird.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/400s | f4 | ISO1400 | overexposed 2 1/3 EV | camera on camera bag on the bank of the lake

Thanks for any comments, Cheers, Hans

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Hans,

Excellent detail and I like how you were able to get your rig close to the ground. When loons or divers appear close to shore, they are not healthy. A beautiful bird and an excellent photo. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Too bad about the bird. The high key approach seems fitting. I also like the nice low angle and soft light.
I find it interesting that the bird will be examined for cause of death. Perhaps because it is unusual for them to stop off in the area. Also interesting that if a loon is swimming close to shore they are not healthy.

1 Like

Pleasant light, detail, pose, and high key setting. For me, the warm light areas really make this image work.

1 Like

A beautiful capture – wonderful pose and minimal environment. I love the high key treatment. It’s sad about the bird’s death – I hope someone can find the cause.

1 Like

Like the high key look and low angle. Good detail and light on the subject.

1 Like

Beautiful image, Hans. Your usual low angle and the lighting combined to make for a fine result. Sorry to hear about the ending.

1 Like

Last report was that I will be checked for cause of death at the university. Hopefully I’ll receive an update.