Green Darner in flight

A couple of weeks ago at a local dragonfly pond I had a chance for this guy. Blue Darners are more common here and I was happy to catch a Greenie. Unlike most dragonflies, they hover a lot, then tend to rocket off as soon as you get them in the frame, but once in a while I get lucky. It’s definitely a telephoto thing and if you aren’t pretty close on the focus you can’t even see them.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000, f/14 (wide open), 1/1000, ISO 2000. Tripod with Wimberley II gimbal head with slight drag set. Minimal tonal tweaks in LR, Topaz DeNoise in PS, then a touch of Sharpen. Cropped to 40% of the full frame.

1 Like

This is really difficult to do. You’ve done a great job with detail body position and color. I had an orange Darner that kept returning to a chair about 10 feet from my position but it would never take a proper position was always facing away from me. When one is that close, depth of field is an issue. It takes a lot of practice to do this.

Wow this is amazing. I tried getting one the other day and fuggetaboudit. Not gonna happen. Too zippy. And the ones I saw didn’t seem to hover too long. Uncooperative bugs.

Congrats on getting this. I LOVE the folded legs.

Thanks @David_Schoen and @Kris_Smith – I’m definitely channeling my inner Annie Oakley for these, and it’s surprising that with practice I can get pretty good at the initial aim.

Diane, you have accomplished what I hope to be able to do, but thus far, have come up short. They are difficult to capture in flight. I need to get more time out there trying, for sure. Something like this would take much patience and practice. Great shot.

1 Like

Wow, this is an almost impossible shot. I find it difficult to get large raptors in the frame and in focus, much less something this diminutive. Really well done. I have never seen a dragonfly with folded legs. Looks like a Sikorsky s-76 helicopter in flight! Bravo!

Thanks guys! This is really easier than you might think – just takes some practice, both at aim and at getting pre-focus close enough you can see them. I’ve been catching them for a few years with a range of older bodies and lenses but the latest AF and a fast burst mode is a help. I’ll put up a few more tomorrow. For some reason the position of the legs always reminds me of the gesture in Rodin’s “The Thinker.”

1 Like

Amazing Photo Diane. The sharp focus in the head was excellent. I love the way the legs are nicely folded as well

Fantastic capture. They are so dang hard to keep in the frame, only when they slow down or hover, and that only lasts a moment! Congrats!!!

Wow, just wow.

(Apparently I have to have 20 characters to post) :grinning: