Common Green Darner Dragonfly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I saw this dragonfly at a local botanic garden. There were several of these males patrolling close to a pond. They must have been just passing through as I visited the garden again a few days later and these guys were gone.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 1.4x extender II
ISO 2500, f8, 1/3200s, hand held

That’s what the mature adults look like! Great counterpart to my emerging youngster of the same species. And of course in flight is awesome - love those folded legs. Super detail in that big old face, too.

Allen, this is really a great shot of this DF coming at you. The green BG just goes with the green on the DF so nicely. Sweet!

Well done–I have not tried to get one in flight yet. I’m still practicing with hummingbirds. The DOF is good and most of the dragonfly is very sharp. The BG works well with the subject. Awesome photo…Jim

I love the greens and blues here. Placed just right in the frame too. Well done!

Fantastic catch!! He looks like a prime specimen. You got gorgeous detail in the wings and great DOF! And I love the BG!!

Allen: I have tried with zero success to get a flight shot of a dragonfly so I’m insanely jealous. Terrific capture of a very cool subject. >=))>