Common Green Darner, male

One from the archives…I saw this dragonfly by a shallow pond at an Audubon center several years ago.

Canon 7D, 300mm f4L IS, 1.4x TC, monopod
ISO 400, f14, 1/200s

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Hi Allen,

A 300mm f4 coupled either with a TC or extension tube is a deadly weapon for use on wily odonates. Focus and exposure are spot on and I like the BG. Some would argue that the light tan rectangle to the right of the subject needs to be addressed, but I find it helps to pull my eye diagonally across the image. So, I like this image as presented. Awesome…Jim

1 Like

A wonderful look at this beautiful DF, Allen. Wonderful details throughout from head to tail. No nits from me on this one. Great shot.

1 Like

Allen: I really like the environment as well as the perfect capture of the dragonfly. Terrific find and presentation.>=))>

1 Like

Allen, the details in the DF look great. You’ve also got a nice depiction of it’s surroundings. I especially like the sheen in the wings. I’ve see a few of these guys patrolling local ponds on the rare warm day over the last week or so, so they’re out but only with bright sun and temps into the 60s.

1 Like

Terrific Allen! I feel as if I can touch this beast. Both the left and right sides of the BG combine with the DF to make a complete image. Very enjoyable! JT

1 Like