Green Heron

The green herons chose not to nest at the neighborhood lake this year but they are still active. Saw this one near the boat dock this morning.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 640, f8, 1/640s

I was shooting a perched bird and then they started to fly. I forgot to adjust my settings for flight. I was lucky this turned out reasonably okay I think.

@allensparks.wildlife
1 Like

Still a very nice shot, Allen. I love the wing position. Not knowing what they will do, some times I think it pays to have the camera set for the in flight shots, light permitting. Sorry to hear that they aren’t nesting near you, but at least they are still active.

Oh how I love greenies. The feather detail in the upper wings is so interesting.

One thing you might consider is setting up a custom mode for wildlife shooting. If the 90D supports that it could help. I have on on the G9 and all I need to do is twist the top dial and I have 1/500th of a second set immediately. I could set it to whatever, but that seemed a good place to start and it’s a quick move.

Wonderful pose with quite good enough IQ. Good advice about a flight mode – I have one set on my Canon R5 – but it’s punch-twist-punch so not exactly instantaneous.

I am impressed with the wonderful color you caught in the Green Heron. At times they can appear very dark when they really have a rich array of color in the feathers in good light. Your bird looks a bit awkward in this moment in flight, so that reminds me of the many times we catch them as they are gaining momentum or balance. Good photo and fun to look at!

Nice catch here, Allen. I think the photo has plenty good enough techs, and the pose and color are great. Nice work.

Hi Allen
I think it turn out much better then just ok. The framing, detail and colors are just right. Nice work.
Peter