Green is arriving soon

Image Description

Quick day trip to the Palouse and Steptoe Butte on March 28. Cold, very windy and overcast. Some fields are quite green; many still freshly plowed; others just a hint of green. The park and road to summit are open. Latest info is closure for several months will occur in spring 2024 for improvements.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Inspiration is two fold: first, shoot something different than usual colorful scenic image; and second, texture as WC topic.

Technical Details

7DMKII; 100/400 @ 142; 9.0; 1/1000th; 640 iso; cloudy; handheld; Slight crop off bottom.; a little sharpening; bit of dehaxe.

1 Like

The tones of emerging spring give this image nice seasonal interest. The primary compositional element I see is four variations of wavy lines that move in different directions. This works well. Perhaps the foreground could be darkened a bit to blend more with the rest of the image and bring out the lines there. I tinkered a bit and understand that the look depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Wow, this is so beautiful, Jim! I just love the different shades of brown and the texture is wonderful. I don’t think I’ve seen an image of this area depicted in this season. Just green and I think I’ve seen it with snow. I don’t have any critique just wanted to say how much I like this!

Hi Jim,
what a wonderful image with beautiful soft shapes and textures.

I love your image as it is. But I also agree with @Larry_Greenbaum about darkening the foreground slightly.

@Larry_Greenbaum @Jens_Ober @Vanessa_Hill Thank you for the nice comments. Interestingly I actually lightened the lower part before posting. At the time it seems the thing to do. Now that I see Larry’s version, I like the darker better. Thanks.

Jim, this is a fascinating image with an overall very soothing mood. I like that you do not realize immediately what it is, it might not even be a photograph for all I know. The wavy lines give it a real painterly look.
I see Larry Greenbaum’s point, but I really like your original version with the brighter bottom a bit more as I think the brightness adds another layer and therefore more depth to the image which I like.
What would interest me is whether you are going to print this one and what the paper choice is. I could see this on a matte paper, though the textures and lines might be clashing with the surface of some papers. It might look great on a baryta paper.
This way or another, you got a winner.

I think you achieved your goals of capturing something different than the usual colorful scenic image and that showcases texture. To me this works as an abstract and has pleasing visual flow with the curving lines and nice textures.

@holgermischke @DeanRoyer Thank you for your comments. @holgermischke I have not considered printing it, so I haven’t considered paper choices. Thank you for your information on paper choices.

Wow – you found a fascinating subject and composition!! I do like @Larry_Greenbaum’s idea of darkening the base – maybe even a bit further than he did for the lightest area toward the bottom.

Jim, I’m thoroughly enjoying this, with the wide range of warm brown tones and a very strong sense of motion in multiple directions. I’m guessing that the stripes and their direction relate to how the fields were harvested and/or prepared for planting. A great find.

@Diane_Miller Thank you. A little darker.; a little lighter; keep as is. That’s one aspect of NPN that is so wonderful-helpful suggestions that work well. Reading (and trying to understand some of the more detailed comments) is so darn instructional. @Mark_Seaver Thank you. Yes, both preparation and last year’s harvest.