Grizzly Bear with Salmon

I’m still working on my year-end content, including compiling my favorite shots from the year. This one made my “Not Quite Best of 2019” list (which I’ve published here), but it may have been my favorite photo from this fall’s Great Bear Rainforest tour.

We were fortunate to have nice encounters with all three of the region’s bear types (brown, black and white). I’m more partial to spirit bears, but this grizzly sow put on a nice show from a respectable distance while we watched her and her three cubs from the Zodiac. At this point, she had waded into the mouth of the river, feeling around for salmon carcasses in the mud and gravel below. She pulled up this nice fish and was busy securing it was slowly shuffling back toward shore. Obviously, it was nice to get a look from both the bear and ex-fish in this case.

Canon 1DXII
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 2000
1/640th
f/6.3
(hand-held)

Max

2 Likes

Wow, Max, I can sure see why this in one of your favorites for 2019. I really am enjoying this. I love the low angle in which you shot it. The spray of water coming up from him indicates action. Very nice wildlife shot. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Love the gaze of Bear and the floating act along with the fish.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying this image. So many things to like… the water level angle the fish, the bear (duh) and the bears foot holding the salmon. Such a strong image with a wonderful composition. Thx for sharing this one.

1 Like