Grumpy Owl

Last week I was guiding a birder from the UK (some days before the partial lock-down we face now), who wanted to see Long-Eared Owls. So I brought him to a spot and made some shots myself as well. The Owl may look grumpy, but telling from the laying ‘ear plumes’ it was relaxed. When these owls get excited or alert they raise their plumes and sit erect. Maybe it was just contemplating the mess we make of this planet, Who knows? Thanks for viewing and wishing everyone good health and strength in dealing with the current Corona crisis. Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm | 1/400s | f4 | ISO1000 | overexposed 1/3 EV | handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

He is just beautiful, Hans. Love the look he is giving you, and the title you gave it, but your explanation clears it up that it is just his look. Glad you and the other photographer were able to get out and take some shots of him. Wishing you good health as well.

1 Like

Beautiful look at this owl with excellent facial detail. There’s a nice softness to the surrounding foliage that goes well with the overall color palette and the downy look of the feathers.

1 Like

Lovely shot. It is definitely giving you the fierce stare. Love those orange eyes. I really like the nice soft colors in the owl.

1 Like

Beautiful and interesting image, Hans. Every other image I’ve seen of this species, They’ve looked tall and thin, while this one looks positively rotund. Part of that might be the bottom half being partly obscured. Anyhow, it’s an interesting look and as always a very well crafted image.

1 Like

Excellent pose and wonderful eyes. Very pleasing composition. Out of focus area adds to the effect. Well done.

1 Like