Gulf Shores Sanderling

Went to Gulf Shores for a wedding back in June and was able to get out and photograph a couple times. Found a fairly friendly sanderling on the first morning. Well, I believe it is a sanderling; if I am mistaken, please let me know!

Any pertinent technical details:

D850
500 f/4 AF-S II + 1.4x tc
f/6.3
1/2000
ISO 2000

Not much done in post, just cropped, sharpened, levels, and cloned out a couple small, distracting elements on the beach. All feedback welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice detail in the Sanderling, Lyle. I really like your low point of view. Eye contact is excellent. For my taste, I think this would work a little better with a tad less beach at the bottom and a bit more sky at the top, but that’s just my taste.

What a great point of view and nice head angle and beak sand and nice pose.
Very well done Lyle, nice to see you here,

Thank you, Dennis. The BG is ocean, but I think your idea to include more of it really improves the photograph!

Thanks, Dan. Good to be here, and good to see you here as well!

First rule, you nailed it…Eye level shots. That gives the viewer a natural view.
I do agree with Dennis but overall a nice shot.

Nice looking Sanderling here. Excellent exposure and detail. I like the pose. I agree a little less on the bottom would improve the composition.

Nice look at the breeding plumage. Good low angle and a nice action pose. Well done.

Nice species, well photographed, from my favorite angle :wink: ! Cheers, Hans

Great low angle, raised foot and bit of sand on the beak here Lyle, I would take a small crop from the left. Congrats on a sweet image and welcome to NPN!