Sanderling

This Sanderling was one of at least 12 different species of shorebirds seen several days ago on the west coast of the Pacific Northwest during the shorebird migration. Dennis Plank and myself had an exceptional time shooting out there.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-800, 500 mm +1.4 extender at F8, 1000th, handheld, D 500, 70% of full frame, Partially cloudy

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The sculptured sand really makes this shot. Great job on the exposure. Good details on entire bird.

I love the wavy sand pattern. Good detail in the bird. Perhaps a little dark as presented?

Your usual excellent plumage detail, David. I love the ripple patterns in the sand, but I think maybe a tad off the bottom to get rid of the blurrier part of the foreground might make a more powerful image.

Good detail in a bird that usually doesn’t stand still. I like the pattern of the sand. I’m okay with the composition-I think if you cropped from the bottom, you would need to add something on the top or it might seem a bit cramped.

A great shot, David. Wonderful details in the bird, and the dark rippled sand just makes him pop out. I think it would be nice to remove some of the oof sand in front, but it is still a wonderful shot as is.