Spotted Sandpiper

Another from David Schoen and my trip for shorebirds. I believe this was taken when I was lying on the beach to try for a lower angle. Most of the time we were further out where the water was seeping up through the sand. Next time, I’ll go fully protected.

It seems really difficult to get a catchlight with shorebirds, so I was happy to get one in this image. So many of the nice poses and action shots just had a blank black eye.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you note. I straightened, cropped and added canvas on the right using the content-aware crop function. There was just a tiny bit of clean-up required.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held from the prone position, f/8, 1/2500, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 13.2 MP with the added canvas included.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the low POV and the pose. Colors and detail good. I like the bit of sand surrounded by water; makes for a nice composition. I think this is a Western Sandpiper.

Excellent action image with superb point of view, detail, exposure.

Thanks, Allen. I’ll take a second look at the ID. I don’t do shorebirds often, so I’m probably wrong.

This little guy is on a mission to get somewhere fast, it looks like. I like everything about this shot, Dennis. Very nice.