Spotted Sandpiper

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The sandpiper either didn’t mind or notice my presence as it walked along the sandy bank of a creek. I was able to get low and wait until it came close to me.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 Tx at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10, -1/3 EV; ISO 3200

I love the low angle and surroundings, Allen. The sandpiper’s pose is nice with good eye contact. The brightest area on the side looks a little hot and you might want to bring it down a trifle. The almost monochrome palette in this image is awesome.

1 Like

Hi Allen, love the expression of the bird you caught with the open beak. The feather pattern on top is really intriguing. Agree with Dennis that the whites seem just a tad bright. A fine capture.

1 Like

Very nice and unique!! I wonder about a subtle gradient burn from the bottom.

1 Like

Thanks, Diane, a good idea.

Other than the minor nit about the hot whites this is simply tremendous. It has an almost sepia looking tonality to it and the look on it’s face is one of may surprise or shock at seeing you. There is some weird smudging along the right edge starting just above the sand and going all the way to the top of the frame. Not sure if you cloned something out or if it’s just artifacts in the background but they could probably be cleaned up a little bit. Minor nit but noticeable. There is also one on the top of the frame just above the bird (it’s a dark spot that could be easily cloned out.

1 Like