Day on the beach

Here is another sandpiper, maybe a Western. I was sitting on the sand a ways back watching this bird move be quickly I might add.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I am still practicing bird photography so any feedback would be great.

Technical Details

R7 EF 100-400 1.4x 1/1000 f/11 ISO 400 I post processed with Photo AI, PS using layered curve adjustments and curves lower brightness on background. With birds I use a clipping Hue Saturation on the curve adjustment because I select the bird with the object tool. It works with good contrast.

1 Like

Dean, another beauty on the beach. I really like how the forward motion of the bird contrasts with the motion of the incoming wave. You might lighten a bit the area around the eye to enhance its colour (I’d use Nik Viveza but I’m sure there are other ways). You’ve caught this attractive bird in a fine composition.

Dean, another nice, down low shot of birds on the beach. I love the wave coming in, and how you caught the bird in motion with the foot up. I hope to get a chance at trying a shot like this in about a week and a half when we go to Virginia. Nicely done.

Hi Dean
Great low angle photograph. I like the framing and action. With this shot being back light, I wonder what it would look like with a reflector place in front of the (Sandpiper?) and using Nik Collection - Color Efex Pro 5 this is what I came up with.
Peter