Hairy Cat's Ear, Hypochaeris radicata,

This is one of our worst prairie invasives in this area after Scotch Broom, though there are others that are close and may end up exceeding it. It’s a dandelion type plant with hairy leaves that a pretty flat on the ground. It sends up bloom heads from spring through most of fall even when most plants have senesced in our dry summers. What’s really annoying is that when a prescribed burn is done, if it’s not quite intense enough all the buds seem to go to seed heads overnight and cover the freshly burned area with tons of seeds. So despite the beauty of the seed heads, I don’t much care for it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5DIII, EF180 f/3.5 macro, tripod and cable release, f/22, 1/200, iso 1000, manual focus and manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC.

Dennis, a great shot of the seed head. I was fully expecting it to be a stacking image, but was surprised to read that it was a one shot image. Very nice details in the subject, with a nice pleasing BG. A square format works well here.

1 Like

Wonderful sharpness and detail! The dewdrops are icing on the cake!

Dennis, the details in the head are excellent. The scattering of water drops are a fine addition. It sounds like fire can enhance it’s spread. That’s terrible news for prairies.

I can’t add much to what’s been said except good luck eradicating this pest, Dennis. With seedheads like a dandelion, it’s probably a losing battle, unfortunately.

Pretty much. It’s not one you can use herbicides on very easily. The prescribed burn protocol helps a little when we get a good burn and cooperative weather afterwards. If there’s a rain within a few weeks after the burn all the weeds start popping up and a pre-emergent herbicide will preferentially nail those as the natives don’t pop back as quickly. That said, no one I know thinks we’ll come close to eradicating this one or Ox-eye daisy.

1 Like