Overabundance

It is unfortunately peak bloom season for Scotch (or Scot’s) Broom around here. This is an introduced plant run amok in Western Washington, where it will take over any open area where it’s allowed forming huge monocultures. As you can see, it blooms prolifically and each bloom produces a pod with five or more seeds. To make matters worse, the seeds are kind of time release, with some of them waiting fifty years or more to germinate. This is a close up of a fifty-five acre “conservation set aside” from a developer.

I’ll post a more cheerful one tomorrow!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, EF 28-70 @ 70mm, hand held, f/22, 1/160, iso 800, manual exposure. Taken yesterday at 12:46 pm under cloudy skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Dennis, it is truly amazing what is allowed as “set asides” or “mitigation”. Scotch Broom is also a problem in the Eastern USA. The colors show very cleanly here and it is a ton of yellow.

Dennis,
This looks and sounds like a beautiful but very invasive plant. I keep thinking that one of these days we will learn our lesson and quit introducing non native species; whether they be plant or animal; to different locations. Not far from where I live kudzu is taking over the hillside with it’s invasive winding vines.

Sorry to hear this is an invasive plant Dennis. The photo you’ve taken makes it look beautiful. The colors and composition are wonderful. I must agree with @Ed_Lowe about trying to stop introducing non native species. Some how they always seem to be problematic. Still love the image.

Proliferation for sure! My eyes are nearing retinal failure. LOL That really is a ton of yellow blooms Dennis. You can see how it got it’s name. It looks like there are two separate broom sticks in the image. At any point this is well seen and nicely composed given all the chaos that’s ensuing. Thanks for the back story on this species.