Growing Wild + Bloom

I added an image with one in bloom. Hope that helps.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this in a field near where we have our camper. Good thing I took a few photos of it, because my brother mowed it down a day or so after I took this picture.

Specific Feedback

Wondering what it is, if anyone knows. Maybe I will get that is bloomed out more up here later. That might help. Any suggestions. I just loved this bloom. Hated he cut it down, but he was mowing the whole field.

Technical Details

Canon R5, Sigma 150-600mm lens at 335mm, Settings all manual except auto ISO. 1/1000, f11, ISO 5000. I edited it in LR using the new Denoise first, then just general editing.

Well, Shirley, I am certainly no expert, but I believe it is a type of thistle. The way you have captured it makes it so beautiful. As opposed to the dubious reputation they tend to have (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thistle) Never the less, I love the soft background and the lovely lighting. Nicely seen.

1 Like

Love the addition of the bee, Shirley!

1 Like

Shirley, I can see your bit of disappointment in the fact that your brother cut these fine photo opportunities down. I do believe as @linda_mellor has mentioned these are some kind of thistle. Regardless, they make for a nice subject to work with… :sunglasses:
As a side note - One of these wild growth items caused me a big panic one evening around 9 pm as my Siberian Husky “Smokey” came in with a swollen snout and watering & closing eyes. As it was summer time I thought a rattler had gotten to him. Off to the all night emergency vet 30 miles away. I left him there and picked him back up at 6 am with much swelling gone by then. Vet asks me, “you got any thistle weed in your area?”…UGH !

1 Like

Hey, Shirley. iNaturalist IDs this as Musk Thistle, an introduced species from Eurasia. It’s listed as a noxious weed in many areas of the U.S., so don’t feel too badly about your brother mowing it down. It is beautiful, though and you captured it well. Nicely blurred background and a bonus bee!

2 Likes

Beautiful images Shirley! I love the soft light and the clean compositions. Oh, and that bee is a nice added bonus. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Shirley, Love the second image with the bee and the positioning of the thistle in bloom. In the first image I wanted a vertical framing more, as there was a lot of space around the thistle bud. In the second image, you solve that by including a second one, and now it looks like that one is ‘talking’ to the other, in the way it is turned towards the bud. That ‘gesture’ makes this image work. Otherwise, having two of something can often create a ‘ping-pong’ effect with the eye bouncing back and forth. The bee is a bonus! Thistle are beautiful, if not a bit deadly, and in some cases, invasive…

1 Like

Nice job and a bonus bee always helps. These are a pretty hardy invasive and so I’d go back and remove the roots and/or rhizomes if you can. They will eventually spread and kill off native plants. Thistles are really cool plants though and when they go to seed you will find finches on them in great numbers.

1 Like

Thank you, @linda_mellor @Paul_Breitkreuz @terryb @Tom_Nevesely @brenda_tharp and @Kris_Smith for viewing and your kind comments. I will be sure to tell my brother about that and see if we can dig it up. I think there were 3 of them. I know about where they were. Oh, I would have loved to have captured it with the finch on them!

1 Like

Very pretty! We fight them here, too, or some similar variant. RoundUp nails them, otherwise they seed like crazy. But I do usually photograph a few, then cut off the heads before they seed and spray them. They are about the most prickly things you can ever tangle with. Welder’s gloves needed.

2 Likes

Nicely done. Come down to my neck of the woods in Colorado, we have plenty of them growing wild. I might try my luck on some of them on my daily dog walk. Cheers.

1 Like