Fiery Tendrils

I saw the discussion about different galleries being more highly trafficked the other day and thought I should post in a new gallery. I don’t have a lot of experience photographing flowers, but I do try to look for interesting specimens while traveling. I came across this one on a hike around Banff last year. I wish I knew what it was and would love it if someone with more knowledge could let me know. I was taken by the shape and the amazing colors, as well as the golden pollen at the base.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any given.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any.

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 70d
ISO 200, f6.3, 1/640 sec
100-300 at 300 mm, handheld
LR plus some dodge and burn in PS

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Well seen and photographed. I like the layers of color and the seemingly random lines of the flower. My only thought would be to clone out the reddish-orange in the left upper corner as it tends to draw my eye.

1 Like

Thanks Allen. The corners are still a little distracting, especially that one. Maybe I can selectively change those oranges a little.

Jason, here is a quick and dirty method to cut down distracting elements. Since you use, Photoshop, it will be easy to do with a little practice.

Using the move tool, select the area you want to disappear. Move it wherever you want (doesn’t matter - you’re going to delete it). Let the process complete and replace the area where it was; then, using the history brush paint the selected removal to erase it’s history. You may have to go to the history panel to place the history brush icon just above the move history in the box on the left side of the panel. After painting the selected move item with the history brush tool, deselect. That’s the whole magilla!

What a neat flower, Jason! It looks like it is having a “bad hair day”. Maybe you might try vignetting the corners, see if that would improve as well as get rid of some of the distractions. Great find and capture.

A very nice find, Jason. What time of year was this? It looks like what I know as Old Man’s Whiskers, aka Prairie Smoke, aka Geum triflorum, which is among my favorite prairie flowers. I like the image, though I agree about the red dot in the upper left. If you want to really work it, there are a couple of slightly distracting out of focus stems, one in each lower corner. If you blended their edges a bit, they would be less obvious.

Sweet image.

Thanks everyone for the feedback…

@Phil_Hodgkins Thanks for the tip. I have to admit to never using the history brush, so this sounds like a good technique to try!

@Shirley_Freeman it does have a little vignette, but maybe a little more, along with some additional housekeeping will help.

@Dennis_Plank I think that looks like what it is! It was late June, so it looks like that would be the time of year it blooms (according to a quick internet search). I will do a closer sweep of the edges and maybe smooth it out a bit.

1 Like

Jason: Thanks for posting here. Really good DOF/POF choice and a fine BG. Getting rid of the red spot in the ULC is my only significant suggestion. Well seen and captured. :+1: >=))>

1 Like