Red Orange Gladiolus

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken inside on the kitchen table with available light. I had broken down my macro “studio” already but saw this flower in a bouquet my daughter brought home and I had to get a picture. The black background was done completely in post.

Specific Feedback

How distracting is the faded part of the flower in the lower right?

Technical Details

Sony A7RIV, 0.8 sec, f/16, ISO 100, Sony 90mm Macro Lens

A lovely portrait of a flower that I have failed to appreciate enough. I like the composition of the main flower and the lighting is wonderful, as are the tonalities. I think you have an option to burn down the buds on the top, similar to the one on the bottom – or even more. What I find striking is the shape of the main flower and for me it can more than hold its own.

This is lovely, David. I really like the tonality and the lower right doesn’t bother me at all. I see the point @Diane_Miller was making on burning down the top bud, but I’d be cautious about it-it would be pretty easy to go too far. In the larger version, the brighter parts of the stamens are looking pretty bright. I don’t think they’re blown, but I do think they could come down just a bit.

Flower looks fine and very sharp. The BG looks close, but not quite black. You can use the “Black” eyedropper in levels and that will push the BG to total blackness. Other than that–I like this one…Jim

Thanks for the feedback @Diane_Miller !

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for the insights.

Thanks for the tip @Jim_Zablotny, I’ll give that a try!