Lavender Dahlia

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Went to a local Nursery to buy some plants and though I bought a few, I came back with a plethora of flower photos.

Specific Feedback

Do you fee like the top half of the flower is too bright?

Technical Details

Z7 II, 17-35 @35mm, f/7.1, 1/2500, ISO 320 (Quite breezy and couldn’t set a tripod.)

Standard ACR, for exposure, contrast and base color adjustment. I did a slight Frequency Separation and not much more of anything as it was pretty well defined SOOC. I did use TK’s sharpening.

A lovely dahlia, Chris. I like the framing and the angle you took it at and your depth of field to get the whole bloom in good focus is excellent. I do think the highlights could stand to come down a bit and maybe even the overall exposure of the bloom. The right green out of focus stems in the background are a bit of a distraction and this is one case where it might be suitable to replace the background with something less distracting, especially since you cropped it tightly in the first place.

1 Like

Lovely flower, but oh, the light isn’t doing it any favors. You may not have had a choice when this presented itself, but oh for some filtering clouds. Sharpness looks really good and I think the bg could use some work in the ways that Dennis suggests.