A Tale of Two Invasives

The first and by far most destructive is, of course, the human species that’s been busy invading and destroying the planet for other species for a long time. The saving grace of the species is that it can realize the folly of its ways and combat other invasives, such as the Scotch Broom which is the spiky green plant you see in the near foreground and along the top of the hill. Control methods include mowing, cutting, pulling, herbicides, and controlled burns as in this image. It’s allelopathic so not much grows under it and it can get 8-10 feet tall. It covers almost all open dry areas in western Washington where it isn’t actively controlled.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5DIII, EF70-200 f/4L @ 187 mm, hand held, f/11, 1/1600, iso 1000, manual exposure.

3 Likes

So true! I like it, Dennis. Kind of ironic when you think about it, there wouldn’t be animal or plant ‘invasive species’ without the human species! So, we make the mess and then try to fix it!
Very good documentary type photography! I like the composition too.
Vanessa

An excellent illustration, with the smoke adding drama. The stuff is ugly as well as invasive, and I’ve read that it is extremely flammable. Just what we need out here! A lot of it has grown back down here, although thankfully in somewhat localized areas, after some of our fires. Nothing is being done to control it here, either. I didn’t realize you had so much of it up your way.

Dennis, this is an interesting and well composed image that tells and important story. It could become one of a number of images comprising a photo essay. I just spent some time learning about W. Eugene Smith known for the development of the photo essay.

Dennis, I was wondering if someone would mention humans. Yes, we are the ultimate invasive species. This is an excellent documentary photo with the fire starter set against the smoke, the dried grasses in the foreground and Scotch Broom scattered throughout.