Tug of War

San Juan Island has attracted more attention in recent years for its resident red fox population. The foxes come in a variety of colors, and are quite photogenic. Here, we see the traditional orange color of the species, but they are also found in black, gray, and brown coats. The foxes are non-native, and it’s thought that the myriad of colors derives from a population that was originally raised for the fur trade in the Twentieth Century.

How do they survive? They primarily prey on European rabbits, another invasive species. Here, a vixen (right) and one of her kits fight over a kill the adult brought back to the den. The kit eventually got the better part of the spoils.

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1DX
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 800
1/2000th
f/9

@maxwaughphoto
1 Like

What a great moment to capture and you did so very well. I love the long crop on this.

1 Like

Wow, Max, a twofer. An excellent look at this tug-of-war, pretty amazing that it’s between two invasive species, makes it hard to root for someone. :grin:

1 Like

Max, what a shot! I too like the long crop, seems so fitting ( :grinning:). Wonderful detail captured in all three. I think it is too late to pull for the one in the middle, but I always feel sorry for the the prey although I know that is nature and a part of the food chain. Excellent shot in every way. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I see what you did there, Shirley!

1 Like

Superb image, Max. Great action and a wonderful composition. It also fits this challenge admirably.

1 Like