Red Fox Kits

Looking back at my favorite images and moments this year, I figured at least one shot of the unique cinnamon (brown) red fox kit I photographed in the spring would make the cut. Ultimately, I chose this moment from that shoot, photographed very late in the day as we briefly enjoyed—and then quickly lost—the slivers of sunlight that finally peeked through the clouds.

The kits had been sticking to areas of taller grass around their den most of the day, so it wasn’t until evening that the action picked up and they finally made it out into the more wide open areas of the prairie. These three are indeed siblings, showing off the amazing color variety found in the red foxes in this area (it’s thought they descend from animals that had been bred in the fur trade decades ago). Another color variation, gray, is also possible, but this was my first time seeing the brown.

Canon R5
Canon 600mm EF
ISO 3200
1/1000th
f/4

Max

@maxwaughphoto
4 Likes

Love it, Max. The fact that the darker fox is in the middle just makes the image, at least for me. Great capture.

1 Like

This just emanates happiness! They look so carefree and full of life. Beautifully captured. Must have been awesome to be there!

1 Like

Wonderful image and fascinating story – breeding for the fur trade now contributing to the natural coloration in the wild – amazing!

1 Like

Hi Max,

They are having a great time and you were lucky to be at the right spot for this shot. The soft light is nice and I like the pano crop which strengfthens the linear comp. Awesome…Jim

1 Like

Great one, Max. Excellent feeling of motion and joy in the play and the mix of colors is perfect. :+1:

1 Like

Very playful image, full of life, beautifully captured!
Love everything about it.

1 Like