Red foxes

Seen in a field behind my house. An adult (in middle) with her kits.

Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x TC
ISO 640, f5.6, 1/800s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice shot, I say. It does look a little overexposed to me. If it was my shot, I’d see what it would look like darkened a little and then hit the contrast and saturation up a bit.

Love the gaze, also their positioning in the frame.
As suggested, the frame may benefit from darkening the mid-tones a touch.

Allen: I like the direct look the foxes are giving you as well as how they contrast so nicely against the greenery. My only suggestion would be to burn the foreground grasses a bit. Fine otherwise and congrats on hand holding that lens. :grinning: Richard

Excellent job on the two main players, Allen. The detail and eye contact are great. I’m a little ambivalent about the other kit. It’s so far back and out of focus that for me it seems more of a distraction than an addition, though I’m not sure how easy it would be to remove it seamlessly.

Overall a very good image.

Getting to watch young foxes grow up is a great experience, the youngsters start out pretty fearless and curious when they first come to the surface. The intensity of the two staring at you is a real attention getter, with the oof pup adding to the story. I too think that knocking the exposure down a couple of ticks would look good.