Red Fox adult/kit greeting

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A common interaction between adult and kit foxes.

Specific Feedback

I’m thinking the uniform nature of the first photo’s BG makes for a stronger image. Any thoughts?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
First image: ISO 6400, f5.6, 1/1000s
Second and third image images: ISO 4000, f6.3, 1/1600s

Processed in DXO PureRaw 3 and Photoshop.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Allen,
looks like you live near a fox paradise. Wonderful images. The fox family poses perfectly for your camera.

The mother always seems to be very alert. She always has a clear view of her surroundings and is not distracted by the children.

I really like the third image. It doesn’t bother me at all that the background is not uniform. The picture shows the foxes in their natural habitat.

The dark area in the top left corner is a bit eye-catching.

1. I brightened the green tones a little and pushed their hue a little toward yellow (I only applied this adjustment selectively to the top left corner).
  2. I dragged the Temperature slider to the left (-12) and the Tint Slider to the right (+12) to handle the white balance, because the image looked a little bit to warm in my opinion (but that’s a matter of taste). Now the foxes stand out a little more from the background.
1 Like

Allen these are sweet shots of fox family life. It is interesting that the kits great mom with a kiss (or inspection of her mouth to see what she’s brought them) each time. I like what Jens has done with the third one too.

Agreed that the first scene is the strongest, due to the balance in the two subjects and the clean background. It looks a bit dark and dull, in terms of light and color, but if it was overcast at the time, there’s nothing particularly wrong with that.

Allen, what a great experience finding this fox family and getting to watch/photograph them. You’ve got a bunch of high quality views…congrats! You may be able to push the midtone contrast in the first view for a bit more “pop”, without oversaturating the greens.