Red Fox Kit Mousing at Sunset

Another of the many fun moments I enjoyed photographing during my local fox outings last spring. I believe this is the little female in a family of four kits that was oh, so active throughout much of this particular afternoon. She simply would not calm down, and spent a lot of energy either jumping on her siblings, or attacking just about any clump of dirt that drew her interest. It’s possible, I suppose, there really was a potential meal below, but more likely this was simply practice for later in life.

It’s not the classic mousing profile shot, which I would have loved in this light. But I was pleasantly surprised as how well the straight-on angle turned out (especially since I still barely kept her in the frame).

Canon 1DXII
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 1600
1/1600th
f/5.6

Max

6 Likes

A wonderful unique image. Of course the backlight and rim light really add to this image, but the action is also just fun. Pretty cool!

1 Like

Max: the light and the subject’s pose in mid air make for a great action photo. Richard

1 Like

This is really neat, Max. Love the rim lighting, and that mid air pose he gave you is priceless. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Great light, action and the abstract pose !

1 Like

A moment every wildlife photographer hopes for. Gorgeous!
Grt, Ingrid.

1 Like

I agree with everyone else. It’s a really fun image with great rim light. The centered composition works great here.

1 Like

I love the head on rather than the more commonly seen profile shot. It adds some uniqueness to it. The light is amazing as well. I need to spend more time with our foxes.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

[/quote]

A view rarely seen in mousing photos, but I quite like it…and dang that lighting is amazing!