Hanging Around

I was at Roper Lake state park in Sept and found this one hanging on this thin branch. I wish that the back park of the wing was more in line but there was not much more me to do getting into a better angle. Still I liked the way this one framed

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D Canon 100-400 F/4-5.6 at f/14 at 271mm

2 Likes

Dean, this is a good look at an unusual butterfly, the Snout. The framing is excellent. In the larger views, the eye looks just a touch soft.

I do like the snout butterfly and managed to find one in Michigan. Head is nice and sharp and we always wish for more DOF with macro photography. The BG looks pretty good at f14 and f20 would have only given you a touch more DOF, but with a busier back ground. Overall, a nice comp and hopefully the the snout butterfly will give you a more squared up view the next time you run into one…Jim

Dean, I love the way he is framed too. I am not familiar with the Snout BF. The curved stem really is a nice perch for him. The BG supports him nicely. Wishing you the best on another try with him.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman , @Mark_Seaver , @Jim_Zablotny for the input. This guy was in a spot that was hard to get into position. However, I saw how she was hanging there so I gave it a try. But this photo gives me ideas for future subjects that I can position correctly

1 Like