Hanging highlights with edit

Hanging highlights with edit

original (darker bkg than intended)

This clematis plant grows (like crazy) in our garden amongst native trees, and across a dark pathway above which it hangs. In spring, it covers the area with flowers and many of them hang down at about eye level just begging to be photographed. Every time I walk past while it is flowering I make a mental note to take a photo of it, but usually I forget to do so…except on this occasion.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any general thoughts and suggestions are very welcome. I am mostly interested in views regarding the darkening of backgrounds in floral photos to the point where you can just see the supporting stems or leaves without being able to make out any details of these. mainly when they are reduced to near blackness.

Technical Details

1/250s, f5, ISO 200
M4/3 60mm macro

LR, PS, for tonal adjustments and removing some background detail.

Hi Phil,
I like the look of this.
There’s just enough support from the leaves and the limb to let you know that its hanging down from the tree, yet it highlights the flowers perfectly.
Personally, I think it works very well.
The exposure on the flowers is spot on as it allows the details to pop without having to struggle to see them.

Not a nit, just an observation, the center of the lower flower seems slightly more saturated than the upper flower, or maybe its luminated a little more? It doesn’t bother me, its just a observation.

Just curious, do you shoot RAW + jpeg?

Very nicely done, Phil! :slight_smile:

Hi Merv. Thanks for your comments. The lower flower was naturally lit a bit more, and I just gave all of the yellows a wee bit of brightening together via TK8.
Yes, I do shoot Raw+jpg because the camera I mostly use (Lumix G9) shows a low resolution jpg on the screen if I shoot raw only, whereas if I shoot raw+jpg the screen shows a high resolution jpg instead. Weird, and a nuisance having to shoot both, but such is life…weird I mean.

When I now look at the photo here on NPN the background is much darker than I had intended. This seems to have been the case for several recent images so I obviously need to recalibrate my monitor. I have posted a brighter version here now. Cheers.

1 Like

I think you need something between the two photos. In the dark one, the flowers have a lot more detail and contour than in the lighter one. Since the flowers are the point of the photo, I prefer that one overall. Using some masks should allow you to isolate the blooms over the background, but I really do like the way the leaves sort of cascade through the photo. The stem coming down to the bottom flower is too bright though and I’d keep that as dark as you can while still showing it. Or if you’re feeling creative, clone a few leaves onto it to keep it from being just a straight line. These are lovely flowers and it’s nice to see the march to summer continues down there. Yesterday morning it was 1 degree out. Today it’s 25. Ah, winter.

Thanks for your comments Kristen. I’ll get back to this at some point. Cheers.

Lovely capture! I agree with @Kris_Smith about a mashup. The blooms should be easy to isolate with a “subject” mask or the Quick Selection tool.

Mine will be blooming in February and it is far too frustrating to shoot. The slightest breeze messes with everything.

Agreed, we have been having a lot of strong winds for a while now and it certainly does make this type of photography really difficult. Our climate has changed a lot in the last couple of years, and we now have more wind, much heavier rain, way hotter temperatures etc, no doubt like everyone else.
Thanks for your feedback. I do intend to get back to this image with Kristen’s and your comments but things are just a bit busy at this time of year. Cheers.

Hi Phil,
Sorry for the late response, I didn’t get a notification for this, I just happened to notice there was activity in this topic when it came back toward the top.

Anyway, It sounds like my camera works the same way, I tried recording raw only but I had the same issue as you.
I don’t really like the high resolution jpegs on the SD card either (when it comes time to download) but, since there’s a way to transfer the raw files only (through Lr), it’s not too awful bad. It’s kind of a pain but it’s the best option I know of since I’m new to Lr. I just downloaded it a couple of days ago even though I’ve had Ps for years, I just never bothered with Lr before joining NPN. :open_mouth: (I did use Camera Raw though).

I like the original version but I do like the brightened version better, Beautiful image and flowers! I am a big fan of black BGs like what you have here. The black BG really adds emphasis to the flowers and leaves and it just looks good in my opinion.
I often use high shutter speeds, low ISO and smaller aperture openings while using a remote flash with high output just to make the BG darker close to the subject.
Basically, I try to set the camera about 3 or 4 stops darker when possible, then compensate with the remote flash(es).
I try to use that method even when out in daylight but not in direct sunlight (when possible that is).
You probably already use a similar method, I just wanted to throw that out there.

I appreciate the response and again, sorry for my late response.

I hope the weather trend there (and here) goes back to something closer to normal and I hope things slow down for you so you can devote more time to your passions. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Phil :slight_smile:

Thanks @Merv

My cameras, and probably most and yours as well, have plenty of adjustments for jpg quality (e.g. colours, brightness, contrast, clarity, sharpness, etc, etc), thus you have quite a lot of control of the output jpg. Feel free to kick me if you know that anyway.

Yes Merv, I did use some flash for that shot to blacken the backround a bit. I’ve also been trying a dual flash arrangement recently and quite like the results I’m getting with it.
Thanks for your comments, appreciated.
So long for now, will get back to it all in a wee while. Have plenty of Christmas fun with your new camera (and maybe buy some extra storage for the files it creates as a Christmas present to yourself) :wink:. Cheers.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to seeing what you share with us.

Have a wonderful Christmas, Phil :slight_smile: