Hanging On

I’ve decided I need to be more active in the weekly challenge, so here we go! :slight_smile: I recently had a camera converted to infrared so I had fun playing with the trees in Yellowstone a couple of weeks back. I loved how isolated it felt against the backdrop of a forest of trees.

7 Likes

Hey David! Absolutely love this shot. Shadows look well-managed to me, the lighting is striking, and I think the square crop is effective for this simple composition. Fantastic work.

David, EXCELLENT in every way… This works nicely and is not overdone like many IR takes can be… :+1:
:sunglasses:…UK photog Steve Onions does some nice work with a converted camera for IR also.

So why do I enjoy this image so much? Pretty much it is about lines … the strong horizontal, the up and right subdued terrain lines, and the verticals of the subdued background trees. And Oh Yes, that strong individual thriving where others have not (yet) done so. For me this is a wonderfully emotional image.

David: Really good vision to figure how this would play out in infrared. The subject and comp lend themselves to the final result so well. Most excellent and :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:>=))>

David, the lone tree and the ridgeline that it’s on stand out very well here. The background mountain is nicely dark, but still easy to see all of the trees. I’m fascinated that this is IR, since it looks like it could be a backlit b&w conversion. Next time I get to Mammoth, I’ll have to look for this tree… :wink:

David, I thought this was a backlit tree at first until I read that it was IR. I really like this.

Thanks Nick! I’ve been a bit obssesed with the square format as of late, for some reason it feels so much easier to find compositions.

Thanks Paul, I had to tone down the tree a bit since it was glowing brightly from the sun hitting it. I checked out Steve’s site, looks like some very nice work just wish he had more on his site!

Thanks Dick, I created this shortly after my mother passed unexpectedly, so I’m glad the emotion comes through as there was a lot put into it.

Thank you Bill!

Thanks Mark and Shirley, the tree was sidelit but the IR does make it seem to glow from within. I’m having a lot of fun experimenting with this, I love how it makes trees lookin B&W. You won’t have much luck finding this in Mammoth Mark :wink:

1 Like

I am sorry you lost your mother unexpectedly. As soon as I saw your words, I was reminded of a Consuelo Kanaga photo and accompanying quote in my old Family Of Man book “She is a tree of life to them…” https://www.phillips.com/detail/consuelo-kanaga/NY040019/26

1 Like

Unique and well conceived!

1 Like

David,
Love this shot. The minute I saw it I wanted to caption it “lonely”. Very evocative.

I like that part David… deciding to be more active :slight_smile: