Happiness is like a butterfly

Description: The Giant Swallowtail Butterfly is the largest butterfly in North America, with a wingspan of six inches at maturity.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm @ 180mm, f/8, 1/3000 sec., ISO 2000, Ev -2.0, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Wow, Terry! You’ve done it again! This is so beautiful! You have quite the setup and I can tell the butterflies love it!

1 Like

Thanks, Vanessa! Over the years, I’ve done a lot to attract birds and other wildlife, but little for butterflies and other insects. The last couple of years, I’ve concentrated on the latter and it appears to be paying off.

1 Like

WOW! You have an incredible image of the butterfly, with wonderful sharpness and detail! For my nitpicky eyes, the high contrast on the flowers is competing a bit more than necessary. You might consider reducing the contrast on the flowers. Best done on a separate layer with a lower contrast raw conversion, just looking at the flowers, and then stack that layer and mask it so it doesn’t affect the butterfly.

Thanks, Diane. No, not nitpicky. I agree with your observation concerning the flowers. I tried to tone them down in the original processing, but they’re still very bright. I’ll have another go at them.

Wow, Terry, what a beautiful butterfly. I so love the lighting on his wings. He posed ever so nice for you to. Great composition. The flowers are a bit bright, and hopefully you can tone them down, but still a great image. I like the message too! I was out for a walk one day, saw a pretty Swallowtail, and hoped to get a photo with the only camera I had with me, my cell phone. He perched up on my jeans down near my show, and I got a shot of him.

1 Like

Thanks, Shirley. I’ll work on those flowers when I get a little time. So, are you going to post your photo of the swallowtail?

Oh, probably not. I took it with my phone looking down my pants leg at my foot and the ground. Nothing creative there, but it was a fond memory. I enjoyed the moment, that is for sure.

1 Like

I think it is really special when a butterfly lands on someone! They wouldn’t do that for JUST ANYBODY!

2 Likes