Giant Swallowtail 2

Description: Another look at North America’s largest butterfly. She was rarely still, which made composing a good shot very difficult.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM @ 150mm, f/6.7, 1/8000 sec., ISO 2000, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

She is a beauty, Terry. Glad she is posing for you, even if you have to keep up with her different positions. I am wondering if you were to crop just a little off the left, and bottom, if that would improve the composition some. Right now, to me, it seems like the BF is too close to the top and kind of centered, and maybe it won’t seem that way if it looses some from left and bottom. Just a thought. I love that BG, and how appears to be oof of the same flowers. The pinks and greens are nice for a BG, and how you caught the lighting through the wings.

1 Like

Thanks, Shirley. I’ll play with the crop and see how it looks.

Your butterflies are getting better all the time! You have lovely detail and color on this one and the flowers are nicely subdued. I assume you have these guys on retainer…

@Shirley_Freeman’s suggested crop is worth playing with, especially from the left.

2 Likes

Thanks! Unfortunately, these guys stop by whenever they have a mind to, and not at my bidding! And their retainer is a free meal, the little moochers.

Okay…I’ll have a look at the crop.

Very pretty. I like the pose. I might also have a look at a more vertical format just to compare looks. W

1 Like