Harrier Habitat

Habitat

Cropped in and processed a little bit differently

This is a female northern Harrier taken at a local duck hunting club and nature preserve earlier this year. I’ll post a cropped version as well so you can see the difference.

Specific Feedback Requested

Do you prefer the cropped in tighter version of the original that shows the habitat better.

Technical Details

D850, ISO 800, 600mm @f/5.6, 1/2500

Hey David, this is a stellar image. What I like about it is the use of light and moment that happens at the same time. In terms of the crop question, I actually prefer it wide because you pair the wild life of the landscape in the landscape itself with the wildlife being the main subject which you don’t always see. Again great image!

Interesting light and a very dynamic flight angle from the harrier, David. I like both images, but I have to admit that the cropped version has greater impact for me. Perhaps an intermediate version would work as well. In the original, while it’s a really nice environmental image, the bird kind of gets lost. It feels more like a landscape that happens to contain a bird.

Thanks for your comments @Dennis_Plank, and @David_Johnston .
This is a tough one because I too would like an image somewhere in between but those background trees on both side make it very difficult to include more space than the cropped version has without including both of those trees making them very cut off. I tried and was not very pleased with the result but I know exactly what you mean Dennis. I also agree that the original version is more like a landscape image that contains a bird in it but the tow definitely provide completely different views of the scene.
Thanks David for your comment. The light was a bit tricky as the water was very reflective in the background but it was colorful too. I appreciate your input on the larger landscape scene. Thanks very much.

An excellent capture, David! The light is great in both versions. I don’t think you need to make a choice because you have two great photos. I like the first because it has more presence and context. When viewed large it makes you feel like you’re standing there in the field! I like the second because it has much more striking details of the bird and still has some context. Just print them both and hang them in different rooms or side by side in the same room! No choice necessary :wink:

A great image. I prefer the first one presenting both the landscape/context and the bird ion a very good way. I think it is fully possible to find a crop inbetween if you want to emphasize the bird somewhat more in the first image. Below is just an example.

I agree with @Gary_Minish on which version. Both are great and both have different contexts. I couldn’t choose. Both are excellent.

Yeah I can’t decide which one I like better. Very typical behavior for Harrier.

@Gary_Minish , @Ola_Jovall , @David_Bostock , @David_Schoen

Thanks you all for your thoughts on this. As Gary says, i really don’t have to decide as they are 2 different images with different contexts. Thanks again for all your thoughts and input on this.

You have remarkable detail in the bird! Perhaps only a photographer would appreciate getting such crisp focus on the bird among the reeds, but for me that is a recommendation for the second image – that and simply the wonderful detail on the bird. For me, the larger context is not that unique or interesting. I do wonder if the bright area could be brought down, but it may be problematic.

Thanks @Diane_Miller. Yeah, that band of brightness is a little problematic and I probably should have toned that down so thanks for the reminder. I do understand getting in tight for birds is generally more compelling than a landscape type image with a bird in it but I thought I’d throw the question out to see which everyone preferred. Toss up. :slight_smile: