Northern Harrier

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw a Northern Harrier hunting over a field this morning. The bird was a pretty long ways off so I decided to make these somewhat of environmental shots showing the Fall colors behind the field.

Specific Feedback

I like the head turn of the bird in the first image but the second image was in front of a more strikingly colored tree. Think I prefer the first image overall. Any thoughts?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

I’m in agreement with your taste on this one, Allen. Not only does the first one have that nice head turn, but while the background is still fairly colorful it isn’t so vibrant that it competes with the bird as in the second image.

Harriers are such exciting birds. I agree with Dennis about preferring the first shot, also because the lower wing position gives a more dynamic impression of flight. I think harrier shots usually benefit from including the environment - these ones certainly do.

Beautiful environment images. The fall colors are wonderful as is the dried out grasses she’s flying over. I love the head turn in the first image and I prefer the more evenly distrubuted fall color trees in the background in the first image. That would be my first choice although they are both terrific images.

Both are wonderful and excellent but the first is the most special – head turn, FG grasses, BG color. But I’m really too jealous to be objective. :wink:

Great environmental shots of the harrier. I’d go with the first as well. I like the head turn and the background and foreground elements seem perfect, while the bright tree in the second image tends to draw my eye.

Hello, Allen, wonderful colors and bird. For me the first image is my favorite, there’s enough of the colored BG visible to make for a pleasant image. Cheers, Hans