Northern Harrier, male

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Today was very cloudy which made for tough early morning shooting. I really wanted to get out to shoot since I have been staying close to home since the snow came almost two weeks ago. The owls in the field didn’t come close but this male northern harrier came by just close enough to try for some shots.

Specific Feedback

I had to use high ISO for the R7 and crop a good bit.

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3, then Photoshop adjustments, then upsized with ON1, then sharpened in Photoshop again. Any thoughts on image quality?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 6400, f5.6, 1/1600s, hand held

You got a Gray Ghost!! I am SO jealous!!! IQ looks just fine for the circumstances – I doubt anyone ever got a studio-quality shot of one of these guys.

I’m always wondering about the balance between more or fewer processing steps. A few days ago I shot a RTH who sometimes perches in a tree that has to be 300 ft from the house. I sometimes see him there and if the light is halfway decent I’ll often set up and try a shot – hoping for a miracle, I guess. It’s not a good comparison to yours since it was on a sturdy tripod, and I hadn’t planned to post it, but maybe just as a comparison of minimal processing and a big crop, I’ll do so in a few minutes.

Very nice, Allen, particularly that first shot. These are tough to get and I’m not sure why. My best shots of them were in my own yard which they hunt some breeding seasons. I haven’t seen many better flight shots of them than these.

Very nice flight shots, especially the first. Occasionally, these birds fly by me very slowly, very closely, and I marvel at how beautiful they are. Of course, on those occasions, I don’t have a camera; when I do, well . . …

Wonderful inflight shots of the Harrier, Allen. The first one is my favorite. Excellently soft background, almost 3D. Congrats.

Allan: given the conditions these are wonderful shots of the Grey Ghost with the eye contact in the first one being a wall hanger. Congrats!